open studio hours resume in july
After a long hiatus, High Five Access Media is reopening studio hours, equipment checkout, and workshops. Studio lab hours and equipment checkout will be availalbe every Thursday from 12 to 8 p.m. and throughout the week by appointment beginning on July 15.
The possibilities for open studio hours are limitless, but here are some ideas:
- Meet with staff to develop a project. We’ve got production experts on hand to help you make a plan to create your digital masterpiece.
- Refresh your skills. Been awhile since you’ve taken a basic workshop? Need additional help editing? Schedule time to go over the ins, outs and what have yous.
- Check out field equipment. Come by after work and grab some equipment to capture b-roll and interviews for your next documentary or other project.
- Make a television show in our studio. We’ll begin offering a television studio production workshop this winter so you can create your own show in a matter of hours. Stay tuned!
- Reserve an iMac for editing on Final Cut Pro X. You captured a bunch of footage in the field, now put it all together.
- Use the studio. If you haven’t yet taken our studio production workshop, you can still use the studio space and lights for interviews and other projects.
- Safe place for youth volunteers to hang out after school
High Five Access Media is dedicated to offering Eagle County residents, students and nonprofits the opportunity to learn about media production so you can express your ideas and advocate for a cause on local cable television and the internet. Our workshops offer you the chance to pursue a career, continue learning, chase a hobby, and get the word out about your nonprofit. You create the idea, we provide the equipment and know how.
The first step is to take an orientation. Then become a member, which is $50 for three nonprofit representatives, $40 for a family of four or $25 for residents who live outside Vail and Avon. Find out more about the opportunities afforded to HFAM members. Basic workshops are FREE for Eagle County residents and nonprofits. Once you've completed a workshop, you'll have free access to the equipment you've learned about.
Orientation and basic workshops are offered once a month. Check out the schedule at right for dates, times and registration.
See column at right for dates and times, or below on your mobile device.
summer youth camp
Each July, High Five Access Media offers youth ages 14 to 18 the opportunity to learn the basics of video production and create a project of their own during an intensive, week-long summer camp. Email firstname.lastname@example.org for details or to register.
Orientation is offered each month before Camera Basics. You’ll get a tour of our facility, discover the story of community access television, learn about our meager rules and fill out paperwork to become a member.
This workshop gives you the skills to get out there and start creating video. Learn how to compose and expose an image, get familiar with basic operations of our Canon cameras, select the right microphone to capture clear audio and mount cameras on a tripod to get a stable image. You’ll also get hands-on practice shooting footage that you’ll use to piece together a tutorial or short video in Editing Basics.
Want to learn the basics of computer video editing? This workshop is for you. We’ll show you how to navigate Final Cut X, piece together video clips with effective cuts, spice up your project with b-roll, lay down an audio track, create simple graphics, and export a final video for the web, social media or broadcast.